Pharming is another scam where a fraudster installs malicious code on a personal computer or server. This code then redirects clicks you make on a Website to another fraudulent Website without your consent or knowledge. To avoid pharming, follow the basic computer safety guidelines in Protect Your Computer*. Also, be careful when entering financial information on a Website. Look for the ‘s’ in https and the key or lock symbol at the bottom of the browser. If the Website looks different than when you last visited, be suspicious and don’t click unless you are absolutely certain the site is safe.
*Protect Your Computer – Build up your computer’s defenses
- Install antivirus and antispyware programs from a trusted source.
- Update software regularly.
- Use strong passwords and keep them secret.
- Never turn off your firewall.
- Use flash drives cautiously.