Every year, GMFCU awards two $1,000 scholarships to two outstanding high school seniors to help them achieve their college education.
Applicants must fulfill the following criteria to be eligible for the scholarship:
- GMFCU primary member in good standing and the applicant must have their own account*.
- A high school senior who plans to attend either a 4-year, or 2-year college.
- Submit completed application online.
- Provide an essay of 300 words or less.
- All applications and related information will be reviewed by the Scholarship Review Committee appointed by the Board. Only the winners will be notified.
This year’s essay question is as follows:
Making savvy financial choices in not something that is taught in most of our nation’s schools. Yet, over the next decade you will make significant financial decisions like starting a career, saving for retirement, paying taxes, budgeting for an emergency fund, purchasing your first home and possibly even starting to save for your child’s future. How have you or will you prepare yourself for a solid financial future?
Applications close on February 1, 2020.
Additionally, applying for the GMFCU Scholarship above will also apply you for the Carolinas Credit Union Foundation Scholarship. The CCUF Scholarship is open to anyone seeking higher education in North Carolina or South Carolina. If you win the GMFCU Scholarship, you cannot also win the CCUF Scholarship. For more information on the CCUF Scholarship, please click here.
We also encourage students to check out our Student Loan program to help fund their college education.
*Please Note: GMFCU board members, employees, volunteers or family members of employees or volunteers are not eligible for the scholarship.