GMFCU awards two $1,000 scholarships every year to two outstanding high school seniors to help them achieve their college education.
Applicants must fulfill the following criteria to be eligible for the scholarship:
- GMFCU primary member in good standing and the applicant must have their own account*.
- A high school senior who plans to attend either a 4-year, or 2-year college.
- Submit completed application online.
- Provide an essay of 300 words or less.
- All applications and related information will be reviewed by the Scholarship Review Committee appointed by the Board. Only the winners will be notified.
This year’s essay question is as follows:
Most everyone agrees that financial education is not emphasized nearly enough. This is especially true for high school students, since they are preparing to make major financial and life decisions. If you were given the power, what specific steps would you take to improve financial education for high school students? (300 words or less).
Applications close on February 1, 2022.
Additionally, applying for the GMFCU Scholarship above will also apply you for the Carolinas Credit Union Foundation Scholarship. The CCUF Scholarship is open to anyone seeking higher education in North Carolina or South Carolina. If you win the GMFCU Scholarship, you cannot also win the CCUF Scholarship. Find more information on the CCUF Scholarship.
We also encourage students to check out our Student Loan program to help fund their college education.
*Please Note: GMFCU board members, employees, volunteers or family members of employees or volunteers are not eligible for the scholarship.