Greensboro Municipal Federal Credit Union is proud to partner with the Carolinas Credit Union Foundation, an affiliate association, to allow Friends of the Foundation membership eligibility. For a $15 donation* at account opening, you can become a member of GMFCU and support an excellent cause!
The Carolinas Credit Union Foundation is the philanthropic partner to credit unions in the Carolinas and was founded nearly 30 years ago. Through a shared philosophy of “People Helping People,” the Foundation supports credit union members, individuals and communities in North and South Carolina. In the last 5 years, the Foundation has distributed nearly $7.5 million for disaster relief, hardship assistance, educational programs and grants, academic and needs-based scholarships, and non-profit grant support.
The Foundation also serves as a founding partner to Victory Junction, a year-round camping facility, located in Randleman, NC, for children with chronic medical conditions or serious illnesses. Over the last 18 years, more than $5 million has been raised by credit unions in the Carolinas to support its camp and outreach programs.
How does the GMFCU & Carolinas Credit Union Foundation partnership work?
If you do not qualify for membership through our Business Partners, the Underserved Greater Greensboro Community, or a family member, you can still open an account with us by becoming a Friend of the Foundation.
- When you open your account, let us know you are interested in joining as a Friend of the Foundation.
- You will pay a $15 membership to the Foundation at account opening (GMFCU has a membership pledge of $5 in addition to this donation that is locked in your account to keep it open. Read more about our membership guidelines here.)
- We will report your membership to the Foundation and you are in!
- Once you’re a GMFCU member, your immediate family becomes eligible for GMFCU membership.
What do I get for becoming a Friend of the Foundation?
By becoming a Friend of the Foundation, you’ll get access to:
- Regular communications from the Foundation on grants, scholarships and volunteer opportunities
- Membership opportunities with participating credit unions (like GMFCU!) to access financial products and services
- Free, one-on-one financial counseling, debt management, and financial education through the Foundation’s partnership with GreenPath Financial Wellness, a leading national nonprofit organization
- Ability to vote for the Foundation’s Board of Directors
Do I need to renew my Foundation membership to keep my GMFCU account open?
No. While we hope that you will consider continuing to be a Friend of the Foundation after your year of membership has expired, it is not necessary to keep your account open at GMFCU. Once a member, always a member!
I’m ready to open my membership!
*$15 Friend of the Foundation donation does not include the $5 membership opening deposit. A minimum of $20 will be needed to open your account–$5 for your initial deposit and $15 for your Friend of the Foundation donation. We will pass your $15 donation to Carolinas Credit Union Foundation on your behalf along with your contact information. The $5 membership deposit will remain on hold in your share account until you close your account. If you are interested in continuing to be a Friend of the Foundation after your initial year of membership, you will need to renew your membership through Carolinas Credit Union Foundation. GMFCU will not automatically renew this membership. Get more information on GMFCU’s membership benefits.