Greensboro Municipal Federal Credit Union was chartered by the State of North Carolina prior to the existence of federal chartering statutes. In 1937, City of Greensboro workers pooled their resources and created Greensboro Municipal. They each contributed to the founding of their own credit union. Now, after more than seventy years of continuous operation, that initial startup investment has grown substantially into a modern full-service financial service provider with over 5,800 members and over $40 million in assets.
The story of Greensboro Municipal today is centered on members, community, growth and change. As a not-for-profit business, the credit union is committed to serving its members. The field of membership has expanded over the years; however, the employees of the Greensboro city government, located in Guilford County, North Carolina still represent a significant portion of the membership.
Greensboro Municipal Federal Credit Union has a stable core of competent, experienced and dedicated volunteers and employees. Our volunteers represent a cross-section of the existing membership and bring a valuable variety of professional experience and perspectives to their positions. Likewise, our employees bring a strong mixture of expertise and experience to running Greensboro Municipal’s operations. The board and leadership team believe that Greensboro Municipal is only as good as the people who direct, manage and maintain its operations. Based on that premise, we are dedicated to attracting, training, and retaining competent and dedicated volunteers and employees.
Our Commitment to Service to Members
Greensboro Municipal Federal Credit Union is committed to serving members by offering services above and beyond the standard line of products and services. These services are focused on convenience and member service. Greensboro Municipal will always offer the best value in products and services.
Greensboro Municipal Federal Credit Union is a financially strong, stable not-for-profit financial services cooperative serving our members with innovative products and related technologies.
- We will continually develop new relationships that build on our products and services and find new methods to build wealth for our member communities.
- We operate solely for the benefit of our members and it is our commitment to pursue growth that provides the highest value to them.
- We will provide employees with the opportunity to excel and grow with our members. We will be known for our outstanding member service and social responsibility to the communities we serve.
- Members will choose Greensboro Municipal Federal Credit Union because of our reputation for quality, service and value.
“Building lifelong relationships one member at a time.”
• Continuous learning is essential.
• Every individual’s contribution is crucial to our success.
• We honor and embrace diversity.
• We commit to honesty, integrity, and respect in all we do.
• Every relationship is important to us.
• We hold our financial stewardship as an honored trust.
• We count on each other to be capable and competent.
• Participation in our community is important to us.
• Internet Banking, free e-Bill Pay Service, free e-statements, mobile money
•Youth Accounts/Kirby Kangaroo and CUSucceed
•Visa Gift Cards
•Payday Loan Alternative – Greenlite Loans
•Loans for all purposes
•Checking Accounts/debit cards
•MasterCard Credit Cards
•Prepaid Debit Cards
•ACCESS: 24/7 Phone Teller
•Credit Union Auto Buying (CUABS)
•First Mortgages & Home Loans
•Balance Financial Fitness Program
Our Commitment to Good Governance and Diversity
Greensboro Municipal Federal Credit Union is committed to good governance and diversity and offers affordable financial products and personalized services. These services are designed to empower and improve the economic and social well being communities of Guilford County. Our vision is to help bring about a financially secure future to individuals of all walks of life by providing equal accessibility to financial products and services.
•Diversity staff training
•Equal Opportunity Employer
•Alternative Payday Lending Program –Greenlite Loans
•Balance Financial Fitness Program
Our Commitment to Financial Education & Literacy
Greensboro Municipal Federal Credit Union is committed to promoting financial education and financial literacy and does so through offering various free programs geared towards the community, the youth, and employees. These programs are often open to members and nonmembers.
•Comprehensive web site that incorporates financial resources and financial management tools
•IRA Educational Pamphlets
•Annual Membership Meeting
•Youth Accounts/Kirby Kangaroo Kids Club
•Youth Scholarship Programs
•Ongoing Community Education Seminars. Seminar topics include: Financial Education, Purchasing a new Home, Credit Scores, Budgeting, Understanding Credit, Your Credit Report, and Fraud & Identity Theft.
Greensboro Municipal educates members and potential members on a variety of subjects through seminars. These educational seminars help all attendees better understand how to make informed decisions, develop realistic spending plans, and understand the credit process.
Our Commitment to our Community & the Credit Union Movement
Greensboro Municipal Federal Credit Union is committed to the community and the Credit Union Movement, taking pride in being good citizens and active members of the community. You will see Greensboro Municipal staff participating in events all around the Greensboro area. Greensboro Municipal not only provides monetary support but also many hours of volunteering.
Credit Union Movement Activities
• Project Zip Code
• Project Participation - CULAC
• Credit Union National Association (CUNA) Governmental Affairs Conference Participant
• Credit Union Association of North Carolina - Credit Union Day
• Victory Junction Gang Capital Participant
• North Piedmont Chapter, North Carolina Credit Union League
• National Credit Union Foundation Community Investment Fund (CIF) Participant
• World Council of Credit Unions Supporter
Community Based Outreach and Activities
• American Heart Association – Piedmont Triad Chapter
• Salvation Army
• Greensboro Youth Council – Toys for Kids
• Shop with a Cop – Greensboro Police Department - contributor
• Alzheimer’s Foundation – Memory Walk
• Victory Junction Gang Camp – North Carolina CU League
• Scholarship Program for Graduating High School Seniors
• Greensboro Chamber of Commerce
• Urban Ministry - Greensboro
We will always be challenged and stretched by growth and cutting edge technology; improving the financial lives of our members is why we are here.
"Building lifelong relationships one member at a time"