Greensboro Municipal's Commitment
"Building lifelong relationships one member at a time"
As a member-owned, not-for-profit financial cooperative Greensboro Municipal is committed to our members and the Greensboro community we serve. We uphold our fundamental responsibility to serve all people within our field of membership. We treat all people with respect and dignity and offer honest service, without prejudice, to all people at all times. We offer the best value in products and services to all socio-economic and demographic segments of our field of membership. We continually reach out to those who are in need of financial services.
We monitor and communicate our service in a meaningful way so members, potential members, legislators, regulators, and the community at large will understand and appreciate the unique role a member-owned financial cooperative plays in their lives.
Throughout Greensboro Municipal Federal Credit Union’s strategic plan, we will put forth every effort to enable our members to become financially self-sufficient and successful. We place high importance on consumer education and the teaching of financial thrift.
The Statement of Commitment is consistent with our credit union principles of "Not for profit, not for charity, but for service" and our philosophy of "People helping people." This statement represents good business practices to ensure the financial strength of our credit union.
Our Credit Union History
Greensboro Municipal Federal Credit Union was chartered by the State of North Carolina prior to the existence of federal chartering statutes. In 1937, City of Greensboro workers pooled their resources and created Greensboro Municipal. They each contributed to the founding their credit union. Now, after more than seventy years of continuous operation, that initial startup investment has grown substantially into a modern full-service financial service provider with over 5,700 members and over $32 million in assets. Greensboro Municipal changed it's charter from a state to a federal credit union in February 2011.
The story of Greensboro Municipal today is centered on members, community, growth and change. As a not-for-profit business, the credit union is committed to serving its members. The field of membership has expanded over the years; however, the employees of the Greensboro city government, located in Guilford County, North Carolina still represent a significant portion of the membership.
Greensboro Municipal Federal Credit Union has a stable core of competent, experienced and dedicated volunteers and employees. Our volunteers represent a cross-section of the existing membership and bring a valuable variety of professional experience and perspectives to their positions. Likewise, our employees bring a strong mixture of expertise and experience to running Greensboro Municipal’s operations. The board and leadership team believe that Greensboro Municipal is only as good as the people who direct, manage and maintain its operations. Based on that premise, we are dedicated to attracting, training, and retaining competent and dedicated volunteers and employees.
Our Commitment to Service to Members
Greensboro Municipal Federal Credit Union is committed to serving members by offering services above and beyond the standard line of products and services. These services are focused on convenience and member service. Greensboro Municipal will always offer the best value in products and services.
Greensboro Municipal Federal Credit Union is a financially strong, stable not-for-profit financial services cooperative serving our members with innovative products and related technologies.
- We will continually develop new relationships that build on our products and services and find new methods to build wealth for our member communities.
- We operate solely for the benefit of our members and it is our commitment to pursue growth that provides the highest value to them.
- We will provide employees with the opportunity to excel and grow with our members. We will be known for our outstanding member service and social responsibility to the communities we serve.
Members will choose Greensboro Municipal Federal Credit Union because of our reputation for quality, service and value.
“Building lifelong relationships one member at a time.”
• Continuous learning is essential.
• Every individual’s contribution is crucial to our success.
• We honor and embrace diversity.
• We commit to honesty, integrity, and respect in all we do.
• Every relationship is important to us.
• We hold our financial stewardship as an honored trust.
• We count on each other to be capable and competent.
• Participation in our community is important to us
Our Commitment to Good Governance and Diversity
Greensboro Municipal Federal Credit Union is committed to good governance and diversity and offers affordable financial products and personalized services. These services are designed to empower and improve the economic and social well being communities of Guilford County. Our vision is to help bring about a financially secure future to individuals of all walks of life by providing equal accessibility to financial products and services.
• Educational Seminars
• Diverse staff training
• Equal Opportunity Employer
• Balance Financial Fitness Program
Our Commitment to Financial Education & Literacy
Greensboro Municipal Federal Credit Union is committed to promoting financial education and financial literacy and does so through offering various free programs geared towards the community, the youth, and employees. These programs are often open to members and nonmembers.
• Financial Counseling
• Financial Planning
• Comprehensive web site that incorporates financial resources and financial management tools
• IRA Educational Pamphlets
• Member Newsletters
• Annual Membership Meeting
• Youth Accounts/Kirby Kangaroo Kids Club
• Youth Scholarship Programs
• Ongoing Community Education Seminars. Seminar topics include: Financial Education, Purchasing a new Home, Credit Scores, Budgeting, Understanding Credit, Your Credit Report, and Fraud & Identity Theft.
Greensboro Municipal educates members and potential members on a variety of subjects through our seminars. These educational seminars help all attendees better understand how to make informed decisions, develop realistic spending plans, and understand the credit process.
Our Commitment to our Community & the Credit Union Movement
Greensboro Municipal Federal Credit Union is committed to the community and the Credit Union Movement, taking pride in being good citizens and active members of the community. You will see Greensboro Municipal staff participating in events all around the Greensboro area. Greensboro Municipal not only provides monetary support but also many hours of volunteering.
Credit Union Movement Activities
• Project Zip Code
• Project Participation - CULAC
• Credit Union National Association (CUNA) Governmental Affairs Conference Participant
• Credit Union Association of North Carolina - Credit Union Day
• Victory Junction Gang Capital Participant
• Board Member – North Piedmont Chapter, NC League
• National Credit Union Foundation Community Investment Fund (CIF) Participant
• World Council of Credit Unions Supporter
Community Based Outreach and Activities
• American Heart Association – Piedmont Triad Chapter
• Salvation Army – Night Watch Program
• Greensboro Youth Council – Toys for Kids
• Christmas with Cops – Greensboro Police Department - supporter/contributor
• Alzheimer’s Foundation – Memory Walk
• Victory Junction Gang Camp – North Carolina CU League
• Scholarship Program for Graduating High School Seniors
• Greensboro's Urban Ministry
We will always be challenged and stretched by growth and cutting edge technology; improving the financial lives of our members is why we are here.
"Building lifelong relationships one member at a time"